You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘equipment’ tag.
By Popular Demand
I’ve received a few emails asking about where a kakiya can be purchased or how it can be made. I don’t know of any place where one can be purchased. Below are the materials and steps that I used to build mine. If you aren’t into power tools and concrete, I am open to the possibility of assembling kits and selling them: contact me at REMsimpson at gmail dot com and make an offer. The reader assumes all risks from building and using this piece of equipment.
Here is our newest toy:
It is just an old tire, two twelve foot lengths of rope, some duct tape, and two 5 inch lengths of radiator hose (for the handles).
To make one follow these steps and look at the pictures.
1) Tie one end of each rope to the tire.
2) Thread the rope through the hoses at the other end.
3) Tie off the rope to make loops for handles (make sure the hoses are in the loops).
4) Duct tape your knots so the ropes stay secure.
It is easy to use just pull it after you while running. Try running both forward and backward with it. For an extra challenge have someone sit in the tire (ride in the “chariot”).
The real challenge is figuring out how you will explain it to your neighbors.
Here it is in use:
Mario McKenna has posted a nice diagram and some information on the Kakiya, a piece of training equipment that is not generally seen/used by modern karate practitioners.
My homemade attempt, constructed with Mr. McKenna’s kind technical guidance:
When my wife and I began building our home a few years ago we needed a place to store our tools at the worksite. Living in a camper generally is not spacious as it is, and both of our cars were full of construction paraphenalia. So we decided to build a temporary lean-to out of saplings and a tarp until a more substantial shed could be built. At some point during all of this, I realized that the lean-to was in the perfect spot for an outdoor training area. It also lent itself well to serving as a framework upon which to attach all sorts of improvised punching targets. This idea took hold in my brain and mutated until I found myself with a grid work of swinging targets that provides excellent self-training for reaction skills and timing .
The more targets I added, the more difficult (read: fun) the challenge offered by the contraption became. Starting out dodging/striking one target is fairly simple. But once the other ones begin to move around, the number of objects in the visual field multiplies. Hitting target A is the goal, but targets B, C and D may be on their way back around to smack you. Hitting any one of them changes it’s trajectory and speed, requiring the user to track objects that may be out of the visual range while also focusing on the target at hand, hitting it and evading the ones that are moving in from several directions- a bit like overclocking the brain. Also a bit like trying to shuffle through a crowd, or deal with several people approaching at once. The targets are free to swing so the movements are fairly unpredictable, especially when several are moving at once. There are many, many possibilities for training with this setup, both solo and with partners. I will post some games and drills later on, but for now I will show the rebuilding process and it’s outcome. Obviously, saplings are a good, free building material for me- however, any suitable materials can be used indoors or out to make something that achieves the exact same goals.
The original grid.
Various targets from the grid.
As can be seen in the pic, the original was a bit low and not in the best of shape at the end. I tore it down and pulled out the poles that were still in good shape to be reused.
Frame in place.
The new one is 7″ high and attached to four trees as opposed to three, adding several feet of space to move in. The height also allows for targets to be moved to different levels as needed.
The first cross members in place.
Grid completed from hardwood saplings, 2-3″ diameter. Many are from the original grid.
The reinforced grid, with several targets attached, ready to use. Tennis balls provide smaller, lighter targets to be evaded and parried; the larger targets are 2-liter soda bottles wrapped in foam sheeting and duct tape, secured via a knot through the bottom of the cap and filled with plain ol’ water. The bottle targets provide a suprisingly firm surface that will actually respond with more firmness the harder they are hit. The round shape requires proper hand/knuckle alignment to provide feedback, as a grazing blow will simply roll off. A good shot will knock it squarely away from the strike. And the best part is, they’re more or less free, easy to make and highly portable.
Eventually I hope to have as many as a dozen different targets hanging off the grid. I’ll post more pictures as it develops. I also hope to get some good video of it being used to post as well, along with some of the games and drills- I will have several volunteers from Camp TKRI in just a few weeks….
Next up: a kakiya.